STATE OF WASHINGTON 2013
Youth Turkey Season Information
2013 Wild Turkey Season
Since 1960, three subspecies of wild turkey have been introduced in Washington: the Merriam’s, Rio Grande, and eastern.
Currently, the Merriam’s subspecies occupies portions of Ferry, Klickitat, Pend Oreille, Skamania, Stevens, Spokane, Okanogan,
Chelan, Kittitas, and Yakima counties.
Rio Grande turkeys can be found in Asotin, Columbia, Garfield, Lincoln, Walla Walla, and Whitman counties.
Turkeys of the eastern subspecies can be found west of the Cascades in Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Lewis, Mason, Pacific, Thurston, and Wahkiakum counties.
• Spring turkey season is open for shotgun (10 gauge or under
capable of holding 3 or fewer shells – a plug may be used to
meet this requirement – or muzzleloader with shot) and bowand-
arrow hunting only.
• A valid hunting license and an unaltered, unnotched turkey
transport tag are required for hunting turkey.
• Immediately after killing a turkey, hunters must validate their
own tag by completely removing notches for month and day
of kill and securely attach tag to carcass.
• It is unlawful to use dogs, electronic calls or electronic decoys
to hunt turkeys.
• Baiting game birds is illegal.
• Turkey hunters must report hunting activity (see page 4).
• Turkey hunters must use #4 shot or smaller (e.g. #6 shot).
• It is illegal to possess in the field or transport game birds
unless a feathered head is left attached to each carcass, except
Special Regulations Wild Turkey License Fees Reward
The Washington Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation
will pay $250.00 for information leading to the arrest and
conviction of individuals responsible for illegal taking of wild
Stop Washington Poachers! To report poaching in progress dial
911. Individuals that witness and would like to anonymously
report a fish or wildlife violation can call toll free 1-877-933-
9847 (1-877-WDFW-TIP). Remember this is not an information
hotline. Other reporting tools can be found at http://wdfw.
It could pay in more ways than one. The Department of Fish and
Wildlife pays rewards for the arrest of people violating wildlife laws.
Youth Turkey Season
A youth spring turkey season for hunters under 16 years of age
will be held on April 6-7, 2013.
The youth season is open in ALL GMUs.
Standard hunting methods (shotgun or bow and arrow only) and
all other turkey hunting regulations apply to the youth season.
WAC Summary Information
Regulations specific to the hunting
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01472/wdfw01472.pdf <- great map included too