Hunter education, bow hunter education and trapper education programs are not just for youth and not just for hunters. These programs are for anyone who enjoys the outdoors and has an interest in conservation.

Classroom courses and all Field Days are taught by certified volunteer instructors and are offered at locations statewide.

Individuals born after January 1, 1975 must complete a hunter education course to purchase an Idaho hunting license OR show proof of a previously held valid hunting license in Idaho or another state.

Proof of residency is required to buy any resident license. A resident is anyone who has been domiciled in this state with a bona fide intent to make this their place of permanent abode, for a period of not less than 6 months immediately preceding the date of application for any license, tag or permit. A senior resident is anyone over 65 who has lived in the state at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of application for a senior license or tag.

A driver must prove residency with a valid Idaho driver’s license. Nondrivers may use other suitable proof of residency, such as:

  • An Idaho Identification Card issued by the Department of Transportation.
  • Two documents bearing his or her name and address, not issued by himself or herself, such as:
    – rent receipts or mortgage statements for the previous six months
    – home utility bills for the previous 6 months
    – a notarized statement from an employer on business letterhead
    – proof of voter registration dated 6 months prior
    – in the case of a child under 18, identification from a parent.
  • A previous year’s hunting, fishing or trapping license is not proof of residency.

A member of the military of the United States or of a foreign country, or a member of the Idaho National or Air National Guard, together with spouse and children under 18 residing in his or her household, on active duty and permanently stationed in Idaho for 30 days preceding application shall be eligible to buy a resident license, as long as such assignment continues.

Idaho residents, who are in the U.S. military and maintain Idaho as their official state of residence, together with spouse and children under 18 residing in his or her household, shall be eligible to buy a resident license. The service person himself or herself is eligible to buy a furlough license from any vendor while on leave. Other permits and validations must be attached as required. Please see the Options for Active Military Personnel section for more information.

Owning real property or paying property taxes within the state of Idaho is not a qualification for residency. No one can claim Idaho resident privileges while claiming resident privileges in another state, except military personnel.

To sign up for a class and you live in Idaho –

If you do not live in Idaho and want to hunt, you must have your hunting permit for your State that you live in, then you can acquire the Non resident hunting permit, and tags from any Idaho vendor that sells them. bring your hunting permit to prove you have done your education already. 

Online Class

This hunter education course has the same hunter safety content as the classroom course. Completing this course will prepare you for the Field Evaluation Course. The only problem with this is that you don’t  have anyone to ask questions if your taking your exam, also you don’t get to use firearms until you actually go to the field evaluation course, their the instructors will have firearms for you to display your knowledge with , but don’t count on them bringing your hunting firearm of choice.  Example: I Went to my evaluation course, and the instructors did not have a compound bow, I was the only person there that could not display my safe handling practices, but I was able to use the rifles, and shotguns the instructors brought to the class. So If you take a course online, bring your firearm, or bow with you to the Field Evaluation class, you can leave it in the vehicle and when the time comes go get it for the evaluation.

 Once you have completed the course now you can get your hunters licence and tag’s for game.

You also can order your tags online at

So to note – You have to do this in order

1: sign up for the online class

2: complete the class

3: get your hunter licence

4: look for a GMU that is open to hunting for the game you want to hunt.

5: make sure the land your going to is publicly available, most prime land is either privately owned so finding out the owner can be a tough choir.


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.